Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Week of Highs and Lows...Temp Wise

I completely failed to achieve that sought after "balance" I talked about in my last blog entry. This past week, the balance" of being active, allowing time to "refuel," was elusive, and not at all present. But I am going to blame the weather.


I was confused about why I felt tired the past two days. I considered my activity level the first 8 days of February--Sunday to Sunday--and it made more sense. It was an extraordinary week, weather wise, and I took advantage of the highs and lows. I'm not sure I'll ever report about another week like this one.


Sunday, Feb 1 - 60 degrees
9am I didn't feel great
2:20pm did my first cross race--Cross My Heart Superbowl of Cyclocross Race by Proteus Bikes
Ridiculous fun(kudos to Jim Venttosa for putting on a great race) with mud, mud and more mud, interspersed with ice that hadn't melted yet. Short Sleeves and shorts.
4pm i was doubled over with abdomenal pain that lasted the next 12 hours(stomach flu?).

Mon, Feb 2 - 40 some degrees
3am pain subsided, finally slept
9m called in sick for the 3rd time in my life--hadn't eaten for 24 hrs--just before race.

Tues, Feb 3 - 30 some degrees
Weak from not eating, but on the mend.

Wed, Feb 4 - 25 degrees evening
6-8:30pm Night snow ride with the girls--trails alternated from snow to ice to mud to snow to more ice. Multiple falls for everyone, but god, what a blast. 3 packs of hand warmers...cold.

Thurs, Feb 5 - 25 degrees evening
7:30-10pm Snowboarding at Liberty with Jon and Josh. Not a stellar boarding performance, but much fun even with the icy slopes and cold blasts of wind on the lifts.

Fri, Feb 6 - 32 degrees evening
Legs a little tired. Jon and I went to art opening in Baltimore, then to comedy club. Great night, but didn't get back til late.

Sat, Feb 7 - 60 degrees
60 mile road ride from Frederick through Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Catoctin Furnace, to see all the covered bridges we could find. Gorgeous sunset...made it back just before dark. I had to ride hard. My single speed gear was a lot easier than Jon's fixed gear. It was getting dark, and I had no lights, so I pedaled as hard as I could.

Sun, Feb 8 - 60 degrees
24 mile rd ride(round trip). Jon, Kevin, Ken and I left from Kevin's house in Woodbine on scenic ride to Bike Swap in Westminster.

Hardly a week of balance. Two days of not being able to eat, and within 24 hrs I am pedaling through snow and ice covered trails in below zero temps. Maybe awareness is at least something...




3 comments:

Mrs. Outlaw said...

It's hard to not want to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather considering what a crappy winter we had.

Just try to give yourself a break every now and then to recharge your batteries.

Blue-eyed Devil said...

So, do you plan on burying this blog in the same plot next to Gary's? I think yours preceded his in shuffling off this mortal coil.

Just wonderin'... ;)

Write something! (Pretty bold coming from someone who still owes you a piece...)

Unknown said...

Don't worry. Just try more and more, sure you will success. I am Jon Tomas and I'm a mountain biker.